It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
Several weeks ago I slowly backed up in a parking lot. Instead of having just a pole for lighting they decided to add a giant cement block around it that I couldnt see at night. I bumped into that and instead of just tapping my back bumper it hit the spare tire. I thought the damage was minimal and that I just needed a new tire carrier. I took that all off yesterday to start popping the dents out. turns out it was worse than I expected. The tailgate is pushed in where there bracket connects. There is internal support structure in these places that also must have gotten pushed in. the tailgate closes fine so it is not twisted or anything that severe. I took it to a body shop yesterday and they said it is not repairable and that they would need to put a new tailgate on. they qouted me over $1700!! Im going to check out cheapo Maaco today and see what they say. In the mean time I have been searching salvage yards like crazy but they are all dammaged as bad or worse than mine. I was considering a couple other options. Have the tailgate just smoothed out completely if thats possible. have the spare tire bracket holes filled and not mounting the tire there any more. I like the look of it on the tailgate, but if its 1700 to repair its definitly not worth it. Also i dont want this to happen again. If it would have hit the bumper i could have spent about $1 of bedliner and 5 min of time repairing. I was thinking then I could get a roof basket and put it up there (this would not be ideal because I would like to be able to carry surfboards up there sometimes). Or I was wondering if those swing out rear tire carriers could somehow be fitted to the stock plastic bumper. I never took the rear bumber off so not sure how much metal there is to attach this too. wanted to see what the LOST crew thought of these options
Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:26 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Brooklyn, NY Kunkletown, PA
You might want to follow this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=66114

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7
Completely Stock
215/85R16 Kevlar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:19 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Posts: 1778
Location: Queens, New York
Depending how damaged the tailgate is, you can get away with it.
I did the same thing and backed into a pole.
I hit it more on the side of the tire so I was able to just put a washer behind the carrier on each of the bolts on one side to level out the tire.
With my damage, with the tire on, you can not even see anything is wrong.
I would look to see if the paint is chipped then touch it up to not prevent any rust.
With the weight of the tire, and the vibrations of it mounted to the tailgate, if you attempt to put bondo or anything similar, it will just crack.

Image

Good Luck!
8)

_________________
-dbk
SOLD2007 6 Speed - Projector Retrofit -Custom LED Tail Lights - Lights on Cowl & 130w 8" ProComps - Full Skids-RockLizard Super Skink Sliders-Front Hitch
Frankenlifted-Al's A-Arms-Goodyear Duractracs 31x10.5R15x7 Cragar D Window 4"bs-Cobra 75WXST - 4' Firestick
4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
Infernicus, thats exactly what happened with mine. but in addition i had a dent that formed out side of where the tire covers some how. I popped it out but there is still a crease mark. I went to Maaco and they said $650 with factory paint and lifetime warranty. Seemed much more realistic than that $1700 quote! Im gonna try this ghetto looking place next just to see what they quote.
Has anyone ever put a swing out carrier on with the factory bumper?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
I was quoted $800 and $1800 to have mine fixed when someone rearended me. My Jeep did this to their truck
Image



Don't worry about getting the tailgate fixed

_________________
Doorless Liberty Instructions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59612&p=739557#p739557


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Lebanon, KY, USA
Will a tailgate from a 2002 fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2003-Jeep- ... 256ef00659

Oh yeah, it's red. :shock:

_________________
2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:28 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
I went to a junk yard, they had a 2002 one but said it wouldn't fit. I'm curious to know if that is true...if 2002 tailgates won't work on a 05-07...or even 03-04...

_________________
Doorless Liberty Instructions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59612&p=739557#p739557


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:48 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
There is a difference but not sure what it is
02 - 55176934AD
03 - 55176934AE
04-06 - 55176934AH
I would assume just very minor differences ( if any) since only the last two letters changed during that time

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe something minor with the hinges?? they look identicle from all other regards.
Thanks for posting this red one. I actually saw it on there but I think after shipping and paint it wont work for me. Maybe it can help you out Sarah?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
surfRenegade wrote:
Maybe something minor with the hinges?? they look identicle from all other regards.
Thanks for posting this red one. I actually saw it on there but I think after shipping and paint it wont work for me. Maybe it can help you out Sarah?


Nah it won't help me. Dad told me not to get another tailgate because I will probably get rear ended again.

_________________
Doorless Liberty Instructions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59612&p=739557#p739557


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Lebanon, KY, USA
Interesting philosophy. I keep trying it on my wife, like with vacuuming the carpet, washing the dog, mowing the grass and so forth, but she's not buying it. :?

_________________
2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tailgate issues...looking for ideas and opinions.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
user113 wrote:
Interesting philosophy. I keep trying it on my wife, like with vacuuming the carpet, washing the dog, mowing the grass and so forth, but she's not buying it. :?


Besides the Jeep is almost paid off and I do not plan on selling it either.

Considering I'm a "Jeep Chic" and like to off-road, a bent up tailgate doesn't bother me and is the least of my concerns. Just goes to show how tough these Jeeps are.

_________________
Doorless Liberty Instructions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59612&p=739557#p739557


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com