It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm
Posts: 3059
Location: Oxford, Connecticut
Just pulled the trigger on a 2005 CRD sport beryl green pearl with 37803 miles, sunroof, Serious Radio, no coolant leaks : ) and a transferable 7/70 warranty that will expire in 9 months.

The ride is smoother, quieter and newer than my previous totaled CRD.

The crash left me with a F@#$% right wrist that is a constant reminder of that episode and some have called me nuts to want another CRD considering all the problems I experienced with the previous one ....... but they just don't understand.

The muffler will be coming off soon and will be replaced with a straight pipe.

I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision.

I'll be good to this one.

Racer

_________________
2006 Liberty Limited CRD, Deep Beryl Green, Yeti tune, Arp studs, new cams, rockers, lifters, TB. "Green Monster"
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Deep Beryl Green, GDE Hot Tune, ARP studs. "Rocket"
1982 Fiat 124 Spider Convertible. "Fiona"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:35 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 82
Location: Torrington, CT
I know you're in CT like me. Will you be able to pass emissions if you gut the cat ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm
Posts: 3059
Location: Oxford, Connecticut
Good question.

We should start a Connecticut CRD LostKjs Chapter and meet somewhere over a Guiness, with an open invite to the other surrounding New England states to join. I got the tools.

_________________
2006 Liberty Limited CRD, Deep Beryl Green, Yeti tune, Arp studs, new cams, rockers, lifters, TB. "Green Monster"
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Deep Beryl Green, GDE Hot Tune, ARP studs. "Rocket"
1982 Fiat 124 Spider Convertible. "Fiona"


Last edited by racertracer on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:45 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 2590
Location: America
racertracer wrote:

The crash left me with a F@#$% right wrist that is a constant reminder of that episode and some have called me nuts to want another CRD considering all the problems I experienced with the previous one ....... but they just don't understand.



Racer


It is like a trophy wife, high maintenance. :-)r

Put a pic of the bi-tch up why don't you?

There really is not much that compares to a CRD, except maybe a TDI? My wife does not want to part with hers either, and she does not know a thing about it other then the great fuel mileage and the joy of stepping on the skinny pedal.

_________________
20 year owner of Libby CRD!
2006 LTD Bright Silver loaded with all the needed mods, CCV intact.
Equipped with HDS thermostat, plenty of heat, faster warm-ups, increased fuel mileage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:50 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm
Posts: 3059
Location: Oxford, Connecticut
flman wrote:
There really is not much that compares to a CRD, except maybe a TDI?


I test drove one and it just isn't the same.

_________________
2006 Liberty Limited CRD, Deep Beryl Green, Yeti tune, Arp studs, new cams, rockers, lifters, TB. "Green Monster"
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Deep Beryl Green, GDE Hot Tune, ARP studs. "Rocket"
1982 Fiat 124 Spider Convertible. "Fiona"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:31 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:51 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Madison, AL
racertracer wrote:
Just pulled the trigger on a 2005 CRD sport beryl green pearl with 37803 miles, sunroof, Serious Radio, no coolant leaks : ) and a transferable 7/70 warranty that will expire in 9 months.

The ride is smoother, quieter and newer than my previous totaled CRD.

The crash left me with a F@#$% right wrist that is a constant reminder of that episode and some have called me nuts to want another CRD considering all the problems I experienced with the previous one ....... but they just don't understand.

The muffler will be coming off soon and will be replaced with a straight pipe.

I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision.

I'll be good to this one.

Racer

Glad you found what you were looking for; looks like you went with the one you found in Mass. after all. Hard to find one with that low mileage and remainder of warranty. Mine is straight piped with a gutted cat. The only improvement I really noticed is better coasting ability. Initially, I thought I had improved fuel mileage but I don't think it changed significantly. I believe I read somewhere before gutting mine that diesel emission testing is not affected by lack of cat like a gas engine. You heard the sound bite from mine so you know what a straight pipe sounds like. I do like the exhaust smell better when it is straight piped.

_________________
Solar Yellow 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 auto 4X4
White 2006 Liberty Limited 2.8 CRD 4X4...SOLD 4-21-2012


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:09 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5431
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Great news, welcome back to the few but proud, if long suffering, group of CRD owners.

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:16 pm 
Offline
Oilburner
Oilburner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 2788
Location: Barcelona Spain
papaindigo wrote:
Great news, welcome back to the few but proud, if long suffering, group of CRD owners.

X2 :-)r

_________________
Cherokee 2,5 CRD: sold - Wrangler TJ 2.5: gone - Touareg V10 TDI: new toy

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:38 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Maryland
X3 :lol:

_________________
2005 CRD Limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:24 pm
Posts: 977
Location: Victoria, Canada
Quote:
Resistance is futile.


Good to see you back.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
Very nice.

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:16 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1627
Location: Massachusetts
GDE says no difference. I would leave alone if I had not already "cleaned" it.

DOC

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:49 pm
Posts: 3554
Location: Aurora, IL
racertracer wrote:
I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision.

I'll be good to this one.

Racer

I have posted the test results on back pressure several times. Get rid of the 2 1/8" choke point on the rear CAT flange and put what ever you want that is 2 1/2" ID (or more if you have to for sound effects) all the way back and the back pressure drops to 0.0PSI.
Stock system generates up to 5 PSI of back pressure. Back pressure caused by the stock muffler and rear CAT flange 2 1/8" choke point, not the catalyst in the CAT.
Make the back pressure 0.0PSI, what more do you want?
A no brainer :idea:
You could put glow lights on your exhaust to make it look red hot :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

_________________
2006 Pearl Green CRD
Magnaflow 2 1/2" Cat Back
KJ Extra Leg Room Brackets, Carter Lift Pump, V6 Airbox, ORM
Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am
Posts: 493
Location: Houston, tx
racertracer wrote:
The crash left me with a F@#$% right wrist that is a constant reminder of that episode and some have called me nuts to want another CRD considering all the problems I experienced with the previous one ....... but they just don't understand.

They are simply jealous... we know what the real deal is!!! :mrgreen:

warp2diesel wrote:
racertracer wrote:
I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision.

I'll be good to this one.

Racer

I have posted the test results on back pressure several times. Get rid of the 2 1/8" choke point on the rear CAT flange and put what ever you want that is 2 1/2" ID (or more if you have to for sound effects) all the way back and the back pressure drops to 0.0PSI.
Stock system generates up to 5 PSI of back pressure. Back pressure caused by the stock muffler and rear CAT flange 2 1/8" choke point, not the catalyst in the CAT.
Make the back pressure 0.0PSI, what more do you want?
A no brainer :idea:
You could put glow lights on your exhaust to make it look red hot :ROTFL: :ROTFL:


I will be doing the straight pipe in a month, where is it exactly the CAT obstruction that needs removing without getting rid of the catalyst?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:49 pm
Posts: 3554
Location: Aurora, IL
I cut off the rear CAT flange ( CAT is located between turbo and muffler)
Image
Then I took some pipe, split it, positioned as shown using the stock muffler to hold the flange in position. Next I welded the heck out of it with my MIG using Stainless wire and TRI Mix.
Here is the Muffler flange I cut off the stock muffler.
Image
When the CAT flange was welded up, I cut out the burs and other crap to make it a true 2 1/2" ID.
Then I cut the muffler flange off and got it hogged out to fit my 2 1/2" pipe.
Image
Attached flange to Magniflow
Image
Added 2 1/2 " straight pipe to Magniflow and reinstalled.
Image
Image

Done

_________________
2006 Pearl Green CRD
Magnaflow 2 1/2" Cat Back
KJ Extra Leg Room Brackets, Carter Lift Pump, V6 Airbox, ORM
Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle


Last edited by warp2diesel on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:05 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
racertracer wrote:
I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision.


Remove the cat and straight pipe it.....ship cat to me to use on Project CRD MJ.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm
Posts: 3059
Location: Oxford, Connecticut
Sir Sam wrote:
racertracer wrote:
I am debating whether or not to gut the Catalytic converter and I need your Pros and Cons to make a decision.


Remove the cat and straight pipe it.....ship cat to me to use on Project CRD MJ.


I can't remove the CAT for reasons of visual inspections during the emissions testing in my state.

Gutting it would be the only option.

Send out a request to those members who have removed their CAT and see if they will part with theirs.

_________________
2006 Liberty Limited CRD, Deep Beryl Green, Yeti tune, Arp studs, new cams, rockers, lifters, TB. "Green Monster"
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Deep Beryl Green, GDE Hot Tune, ARP studs. "Rocket"
1982 Fiat 124 Spider Convertible. "Fiona"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back In The Saddle Again.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:46 am
Posts: 80
Location: Cumberland, MD
Looks good RT!! Will we ever get to see Topside? :D

_________________
2005 Liberty CRD Limited,GDE Eco-Tune, ARP Studs, Sasquatch Stage I&2 Intake, Hayden F/C & 11 blade Fan, Etechno 7Volt GP, 2nd Gen Fuel Head,
Inline Facet/Napa lift pump, 200K, Mine
2007 Grand Cherokee CRD Limited 190K, GDE Eco-tune-DPF, Back-up.
2015 Grand Cherokee CRD Limited 50K, GDE Hot Tune, Hers and she loves it!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com