It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: pass side cv axle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 46
Does anyone have a write up on pass side cv axle replacement? I've got i clunk or a pop in the front end when i come to a complete stop. I've checked the cv axles and the pass has more slop in it than the other.I crawled under and it looks like my napa axle is too short. Does anyone have measurementson how long it should be? I just don't want to pull it apart to put it back together, it's my dd. I'm at124k and already did tb and motor mounts before the q's get asked.

_________________
if it's got wheels or a skirt it will give you problems


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pass side cv axle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:13 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:24 pm
Posts: 902
I've got a rebuilt Napa axle, how do you know it is too short?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pass side cv axle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 pm
Posts: 523
If the NAPA axle for the Liberty is the same style as for an AWD Astro, a guy's mechanic recently found that they're shipped compressed. The grease is all on one side and it can't overcome the suction to extend. The mechanic took it apart, spread out the grease and put it back together extended. His axle stopped popping out and, as far as I know, hasn't popped out since.

From the Astro forum: Replacement axles have come from; AutoZone, O'Reilly's and Napa. Thanks, thats exactly what the mech. was doing and then after tearing down two half-shafts he discovered .... the stock axles and aftermarket axles are the same length internally. So here's the problem.... wait for it, think "track tensioner".... The new axles are built up while being fully compressed, with all new seals, grease and boots. The grease pack won't allow the axle to extend fully as everything is air-tight (creating suction) and the grease can't move to the other side. The solution was to release the boot seals, extend the axle out and get the grease to the outer-side of the CV joint.

_________________
2005 Liberty Renegade, Bright Silver Metallic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pass side cv axle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 46
I finally got back under my jeep. Napa had a measurement of 23 5/8 for my pass side axle on the crd. It looked all wrong so i put a tape to it and it looked like it was 3 inches longer. I called a jeep dealer and they measured it at 26 5/8. I emailed jeepinbyal and they said no aftermarket replacement only factory. Any ideas? Jeep wants 480 for a new one...

_________________
if it's got wheels or a skirt it will give you problems


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pass side cv axle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
black dog wrote:
I finally got back under my jeep. Napa had a measurement of 23 5/8 for my pass side axle on the crd. It looked all wrong so i put a tape to it and it looked like it was 3 inches longer. I called a jeep dealer and they measured it at 26 5/8. I emailed jeepinbyal and they said no aftermarket replacement only factory. Any ideas? Jeep wants 480 for a new one...

You ordered the wrong one or it was boxed wrong(it happens).The CRD uses the same CV shafts as the gas 4 banger KJ's.The 3.7 gas KJ uses different CV then the others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pass side cv axle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 46
In the napa computer it's listed at 23 5/8 and that is what it measured at but the passenger side on mine looked 3 inches longer. Could it be compressed 3 inches? I want to get the correct one before i take it all apart. Thanks tjkj.

_________________
if it's got wheels or a skirt it will give you problems


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pass side cv axle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5431
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Cannot help with the answer but I do know folks have been successful getting the passenger side cv axle from NAPA. If someone who has could post the part # for future reference it would be most helpful.

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pass side cv axle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 46
I went ahead and just ordered the factory one. After I swap it out if anyone needs a core, let me know.

_________________
if it's got wheels or a skirt it will give you problems


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com