It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm
Posts: 9
Location: ky
I went to leave for work this morning my jeep started up fine pulled out from the house and about 50 feet from my house my jeep just does. I pull off to the side and try to start it back it cranked and cranked and finally started back. I went ahead drive it to work.Well i was leaving for lunch and went to stay it back and same thing cranked and cranked but once it started it seemed to run fine no warning lights or warnings. Any help would be appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:08 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Wendell, NC
Hello....
Could be an air issue in your fuel. The first thing I'd check would be the fuel head. Do you have the first generation or the 2nd gen? I had an issue about 2 years or so ago in which my CRD started fine and I put it in reverse to back out of my parking space and when I started to go....it just died. No warning whatsoever. I tried but it would never fire back up. Replacing the fuel head to the 2nd gen solved the problem. Could also be a failing crank position sensor from what I;ve read on the forums.

Jim

_________________
Stock 06 CRD Limited
Timing belt replaced at 110,000 miles


Last edited by kissfan79 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:08 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Wendell, NC
Also....welcome to the Lost Jeeps forums! You will find lots of great folks here with TONS of knowledge.

Jim

_________________
Stock 06 CRD Limited
Timing belt replaced at 110,000 miles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:26 am
Posts: 844
Location: Hoedspruit , South Africa
taylormay25 wrote:
I went to leave for work this morning my jeep started up fine pulled out from the house and about 50 feet from my house my jeep just does. I pull off to the side and try to start it back it cranked and cranked and finally started back. I went ahead drive it to work.Well i was leaving for lunch and went to stay it back and same thing cranked and cranked but once it started it seemed to run fine no warning lights or warnings. Any help would be appreciated.


What kissfan79 said.

Air in the fuel line is the most likely suspect....try priming the fuel filter head as per instructions given in SAMS Noob Guide which is a must read for all new CRD members here. :)

_________________
2002 Export CRD 2.5 Sport


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm
Posts: 9
Location: ky
I appreciate all the help guys it helps a lot to have a site like this. I just bought this jeep a month ago it is a 2006 with 70,000 thousand miles on it. So I pulled it in the garage and first thing I checked was the map sensor needles to say it was terrible. Then checked for air in the lines and didn't really seem to find anything but after driving it for a while now it seems to be doing just fine. Definitely driving better now that the map sensor is cleaned. It just seems to idle better and just smoother but a appreciate all the help and I hope that this fixed it because so far I'm loving this jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:14 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:24 pm
Posts: 902
New leakfree fuel head (2nd generation OEM or better Racor 245 ) along with a lift pump (in-line or in-tank) are mandatory for this vehicle and I wouldn't think of not owning a CRD without one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:24 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:31 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: Camano Island, Washington
I would try a new fuel filter first, been there done that.

_________________
2006 Black Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm
Posts: 9
Location: ky
It ran fine all yesterday evening and this morning but driving home from work loss of power. It would still build up to speed but with no power and a real slow rpm build.Idk what to check next on it i have a new fuel filter ordered just waiting on it to get in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:51 am
Posts: 71
Location: Roanoke VA.
Hi there, just a quick question, your last post stated that the libby was having a hard time building up speed, did you find that you were leaving a big black cloud behind you? If you have a lack of power but no smoke that would tell me a lack fuel, where as if you had a boost leak somewhere you would have more fuel then air and cause it to run rich and pour on the smoke. Just a thought

_________________
John G.
2011 Dodge Avenger 3.6L
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited(welcome to the family)
1992 Dodge D250 Cummings
1966 M151 A1
1961 Corvair Monza coupe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:05 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5431
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Boost leak is typically a leak in one of the CAC hoses (pull off vehicle and remove covering to check, while off check air box to turbo hose for crack just in front of the turbo and check turbo fan for movement slight fore/aft ok no more than a bare hint side to side) or boost pressure solenoid (can be bypassed to check)

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:42 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:01 am
Posts: 120
Location: Now Coastal Carolina
Well,

This is my first time with reoccurring "won't start after sitting." And, dies after a few seconds.

The wife thought it was from her last fill-up because that's when the issue started. (filled not at her 'normal' station)

84K miles original fuel head filters replaced every 20K-ish

When I go to prime the fuel head and open the bleeder valve, a little 'pfsstt" of air comes out before I even pump the plunger. I have kept a close eye on the connectors on the fuel head and have not seen the typical burning as reported by others here.

It takes several pumps to get all the air out and even then I have to crank her a few times, (the Libby not the wife) and repeat the bleeding process.

So, I guess I am giving some advice as well as asking a question...

The Jeep runs fine after priming, it is only after she sits, and not every time.

My question is, it must be time for a gen-2 fuel head and in-tank lift pump? Or, could it have just been an off tank of fuel?

I have had great luck with the CRD so far. But, at 84K is it time to trade it in?

_________________
2006 4X4 CRD Limited Dark Khaki Build Date 03/06 - Her daily driver

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:50 pm
Posts: 1195
Location: Central Indiana
I would go for the 2nd Gen Fuel head first. The in-tank lift pump works for some but I have not had to apply one and I have 118k miles, the fuel head repaired my issues.

84k, do you have a GDE Tune, SEGR, or do you use the ORM mod? If not, and if you don't want to deal with the myriad of issues that are coming, now might be a great time to seperate yourself as (at a minimum) you have a TB ($1500+ if you can't do it yourself) coming up and the eventual Rocker/Lifter failure that goes with this engine.

_________________
Silver 2006 KJ 2.8L CRD Limited:
GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 4962
Location: Green Cove Springs FL
I'm still using the original fuel head assembly.
I did the lift pump before I ever heard of any new type fuel head.
My lift pump is the Facet type, installed under the hood. I think I spent less than $75.
I've had no problems with air in fuel.

_________________
U.S. Army Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:47 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5431
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Not to be difficult but I've said this before several times - bleed the filter head just like you bleed brakes, pump, release valve, close valve, pump - see Sir Sam's NOOB guide bleeding video.

"When I go to prime the fuel head and open the bleeder valve, a little 'pfsstt" of air comes out before I even pump the plunger" says the poster opened the bleed valve and then started pumping the primer. That's a good way to suck air in/out of the bleeder and never get all the air out of the filter head.

If I'm mistaken about my read of this statement my apologies.

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm
Posts: 9
Location: ky
There was no smoke when I was trying to build up speed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:44 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm
Posts: 9
Location: ky
New development for in it to go to work this morning wouldn't start at all. I primed it with the hand pump next to the filter and reluctantly it started but in doing so it is bubbling fuel out of the right sensor plug.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:12 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5431
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
As folks have been saying from the beginning of this chat. Get a 2n generation fuel filter head like now as in before you drive any more. Trust me fuel bubbling out of the right (heater) plug is dead bang give away that you have air in the fuel and are risking an engine bay fire. See lengthy chat at viewtopic.php?f=98&t=24616

See my post at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74575&hilit=+filter on how to swap in the 2n gen head

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:15 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:08 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Wendell, NC
Just my opinion.....but that sounds like you definitely need to upgrade to the second gen fuel head. IIRC....fuel leaking from the connector was one of the issues with it.

Jim

EDIT-Didn't see Papaindigo's post when I made this reply.

_________________
Stock 06 CRD Limited
Timing belt replaced at 110,000 miles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's wrong with my crd need some help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm
Posts: 9
Location: ky
I appreciate all the help and I was trying to put off buying the 2nd gen fuel head but I picked one up today I'm going to install it after work thanks for all the help


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com