Drewd wrote:
What's ironic is I went from a TDI to the CRD because I was tired of dropping off my TDI once a week for repairs that were luckily covered under warranty. When I hit the warranty, I got rid of the TDI thinking the CRD would be better. While the TDI had a lot of stupid little stuff break each week (brake switch, stereo issues, trim falling apart, heated seats almost catching on fire, seat frame buckling, premature interior fabric wear, DMF flywheel failure, premature rear brake pad wear, a rattle that took 2 years of repeated attempts to resolve, etc...etc... it was more reliable than my CRD.
VW's are POS, Jeep products are worse. I will never own a Jeep product again. Good luck in your quest for a new vehicle.
Interesting perspective, but I have a thought for you on your TDI experiences: Most of what you list is not mechanical failures. With the CRD... 99% of the failures WILL be mechanical in nature.
I am now on my second TDI, and beat the helll out of the first one. Didn't ever really have any mechanical problems with it, but yes, there were some trim issues. The TDI I have now is a German-built wagon, and is in fantastic mechanical condition for being 266,000 miles. The same trim issues (that dang rubber paint stuff) still exist, but all that is fixable easily, when compared against the CRD.