It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:16 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:53 pm
Posts: 312
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Is this a one person job?

I have heard you need a second person to line up the arm so can thread the bolt.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I've done them by myself before. Just have to hold the arm and reach up obver and start the bolt in. Once you get one in its pretty easy really

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:59 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 17
Location: MB, CAN
The back bolt is a pain in the booty solo. You will only require an assistant for 5 min total for both sides.

_________________
07 KJ Sport
OME 927-948 / Bilstein 916-702 / 0.25" JBA Plates / Rear Iso / JBA 4.5 UCA / Mamba MR-1 / 245 75 16 Duratracs / Mopar Skids / Curt Hitch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Cardhu wrote:
The back bolt is a pain in the booty solo. You will only require an assistant for 5 min total for both sides.


On the left side start the front bolt in first
then you can either use straps or something to "hold" the arm in location to install the rear
Actually on mine ( since I always work in sandals or barefeet ) I was able to use my foot to move the rear around just enough to slide the bolt in first time while standing on a milk crate
Hey now don't laugh it works great! :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:02 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 8:38 pm
Posts: 88
Location: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Done this on my own too. Can't say I employed the skills of tommudd, was quite a stretch for my arms though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
would you guys say these are the best upper front a arms? Im about to place an order and install myself


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Fremont CA
These are the best arms on the market today. I 'm believer in jba products haven't had issues with anything I've ordered from them. Awesome customer service too!

_________________
Outlaw KJ '04 4X4 v6 Sport
Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 160
I put in RRO arms solo... no big deal.

_________________
Hers: 2005 KJ, V6/6spd/NV242J/3.73/posi, 2" Teraflex, ¾" cradle drop, KK forks, 22½" hub-to-flare, RRO arms, 245/75R16s, 260,000km
Mine: 1993 W250, Cummins/5spd/NP205/3.54, Lockright, ~3" lift, 315/75R16 Duratracs, extra smoke, more noise, 374,000km


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
fortx4 KJ wrote:
These are the best arms on the market today. I 'm believer in jba products haven't had issues with anything I've ordered from them. Awesome customer service too!


Thanks for the backup on these. Ive been out of the loop for a while and wasnt sure if these where still the best. Placing order today!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
I apologize if this has been covered often, did a search and couldnt find an answer. After install of the new JBA A-Arms, do I need to get another alignment? Just had one about 3k miles ago. Also, the new arms have a different balljoint in them than factory. This one has a washer. What side of things does this washer go?
Thanks
Sam


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:01 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Yes you'll need an alignment
Yes JBAs are the best, there really isn't an option IMO
Yours may not have that washer pictured in the ad, my last set I got here didn't

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
tommudd wrote:
Yes you'll need an alignment
Yes JBAs are the best, there really isn't an option IMO
Yours may not have that washer pictured in the ad, my last set I got here didn't

Thanks Mudd. Yes I got them in and and they do have that washer. Quality looks very nice. Wasnt sure if the washer goes on the side with the ball joint or on the side with the nut. Looks like it goes against the ball joint since its the same diameter and the ball joint has a soft cover, would help protect it. Cant wait to get them on. There is so much play in my front end that if i go around a bend too tight the tires rub bad and cause the ESP to activate :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Fremont CA
Tomm I was wondering how much space you have between the spring and a arm with the new set up? Do you have contact at full droop? Sorry for the hijack surf.

_________________
Outlaw KJ '04 4X4 v6 Sport
Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:06 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
fortx4 KJ wrote:
Tomm I was wondering how much space you have between the spring and a arm with the new set up? Do you have contact at full droop? Sorry for the hijack surf.


No spring contact
Picture shows full drop, this is with the pockets cut out as well. I have it sitting at 23.25 inches middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare. In the picture it looks like its touching but its not
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than before. Just jacking mine up the UCAs would hit the springs as it went up. No contact now, no noises from the springs, better ride overall. ( which I didn't think was possible )
Image
Normal ride height, before I couldn't even get a finger in between the spring and UCA. Don't look at the grease and dirt :ROTFL:
Image

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:44 pm
Posts: 633
Location: South Jersey
tommudd wrote:
fortx4 KJ wrote:
Tomm I was wondering how much space you have between the spring and a arm with the new set up? Do you have contact at full droop? Sorry for the hijack surf.


No spring contact
Picture shows full drop, this is with the pockets cut out as well. I have it sitting at 23.25 inches middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare. In the picture it looks like its touching but its not
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than before. Just jacking mine up the UCAs would hit the springs as it went up. No contact now, no noises from the springs, better ride overall. ( which I didn't think was possible )
Image
Normal ride height, before I couldn't even get a finger in between the spring and UCA. Don't look at the grease and dirt :ROTFL:
Image


Your bumpstops! Where are your bumpstops!?

_________________
Alec
1987 Jeep XJ
The Build Thread
Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:25 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
TheBlueKJ wrote:
Your bumpstops! Where are your bumpstops!?


Ah come on now you know where they are.
I have some that I'm testing out, they are invisible until you buy them :wink:


:ROTFL:
Had them out to be able to adjust everything, they're back in now :wink:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Fremont CA
:shock: man I really need to save for a set of those. I hate clanking everytime my suspension droops. My pockets are opened up so no contact on the arms but I have spring and arm contact.

_________________
Outlaw KJ '04 4X4 v6 Sport
Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
I installed my new a-arms today and took it to a very reputable shop to get it aligned. My camber was crazy when I brought it there! After them working on it for a couple hours I got a call that it can not be aligned. The camber adjustment is at its max. The camber and toe are in spec but they are unable to get caster in spec. They told me to see if there is a camber kit for the lower arms. If not they will have to bore them out or something and its a huge process. Anyone have these issues? Not sure what to do. Ill post my allignment print out when I get it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
surfRenegade wrote:
I installed my new a-arms today and took it to a very reputable shop to get it aligned. My camber was crazy when I brought it there! After them working on it for a couple hours I got a call that it can not be aligned. The camber adjustment is at its max. The camber and toe are in spec but they are unable to get caster in spec. They told me to see if there is a camber kit for the lower arms. If not they will have to bore them out or something and its a huge process. Anyone have these issues? Not sure what to do. Ill post my allignment print out when I get it


No camber kit out there and I wouldn't let them "bore" them out .
Has to be another issue somewhere if they can't get it into alignment

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Installing JBA Arms
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
The only thing I can think of is that I installed the spacer washer incorrectly. The instructions from JBA had opposing instructions on this, so I went with the more detailed instructions. Was disappointing to see instructions like this.
In the color photo it says the washer should be between the ball joint and the steering knuckle.
Directly on the next page is this more detailed instruction showing it below the steering knuckle next to the stud nut. This is how I installed it.
Thinking back on it, there was a very small gap between the ball joint and the steering knuckle...just figured that was the way the new ball joints worked since everything was torqued to spec
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com