It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:05 pm
Posts: 275
I am going to go with either the Tommudd 3.5" econolift, or the JBA bronze 4" lift. The JBA is double the price of the Tommudd kit, $2800 vs $1400. I can get a friend to machine the CVs. Is the JBA kit worth twice the money? This will be my daily driver and I will take it offroad in the front range of the Rockies. Nothing too crazy, mostly old mining roads and pretty tame trails for now. Any thoughts?

_________________
JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:14 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:59 pm
Posts: 2127
Location: Navarre FL
Let me tell you how many times Ive adjusted my JBA front suspension.... 0. Save the money and get the "econo lift."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:08 pm
Posts: 1070
Location: Michigan
I agree with Dirty, I have 2 inch adjustable's never have changed them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Trying to compare apples to sweet potato's is very hard to do.
Comparing the above two lifts is the same way
Both give you lift but are different
Is one worth more than the other?
Depends on how you look at it, where you are heading with the build
Either works great, one is just more refined
As far as cut CVs , in 165,000 lifted miles haven't needed them yet but if you want the ultimate

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:07 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm
Posts: 238
Location: Panama, City FL.
I have adjusted my JBA lift a number of times. I have also lowered the lift completely for removal and cleaning. I have raised my lift for larger tires, an ARB bumper and a Wench :goink:. However the price of these lifts has increased since I bought mine. The JBA A-just-alift is the bargain lift in my book, 2.5 to 4". Buy what ever springs and shocks you want for the rear. Add stuff as you go. I like options. Tom puts together a a good lift. Take it to the bank it will work. JBA is what I can base my experiences on and it has been good. bshooter.

_________________
Jeepin is a way of life. enjoy it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:12 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
bshooter wrote:
I have adjusted my JBA lift a number of times. I have also lowered the lift completely for removal and cleaning. I have raised my lift for larger tires, an ARB bumper and a Wench :goink:. However the price of these lifts has increased since I bought mine. The JBA A-just-alift is the bargain lift in my book, 2.5 to 4". Buy what ever springs and shocks you want for the rear. Add stuff as you go. I like options. Tom puts together a a good lift. Take it to the bank it will work. JBA is what I can base my experiences on and it has been good. bshooter.


JBA puts together good lift's, not me :wink:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:05 pm
Posts: 275
My Liberty is not going to be an extreme offroad vehicle, and it will be my daily driver. I like the claims about the ride quality on the JBA, and I might add steel bumpers in the future. Will the lifted jeep with the Econo-lift (Tommudd's) suffer in ride quality compared to the JBA?

I also understand that there are reasons why the JBA costs more than the Econo-lift, I just don't know what the reasons are. As for comparing the two, I am trying to determine which fits better in my budget, application, and expectations. The whole apples/oranges cliches are silly. Everyone knows apples are for pies and oranges are for juice. If two things are the same, there is no reason to compare them, they are the same. It's when things are different that comparisons result to a choice, gaining some things and sacrificing others. So I appreciate hearing experiences and opinions on both kits.

_________________
JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:44 pm
Posts: 633
Location: South Jersey
Dent wrote:
My Liberty is not going to be an extreme offroad vehicle, and it will be my daily driver. I like the claims about the ride quality on the JBA, and I might add steel bumpers in the future. Will the lifted jeep with the Econo-lift (Tommudd's) suffer in ride quality compared to the JBA?

I also understand that there are reasons why the JBA costs more than the Econo-lift, I just don't know what the reasons are. As for comparing the two, I am trying to determine which fits better in my budget, application, and expectations. The whole apples/oranges cliches are silly. Everyone knows apples are for pies and oranges are for juice. If two things are the same, there is no reason to compare them, they are the same. It's when things are different that comparisons result to a choice, gaining some things and sacrificing others. So I appreciate hearing experiences and opinions on both kits.


They ARE different. The front coilovers are not the same, they are adjustable while on the vehicle whereas the Ironman's are regular springs and shocks (which is what is in the Tommudd's) are not. You would have to take out the shock tower and add or remove to adjust the height which is what everyone who doesn't have the JBA coilovers has to do.

_________________
Alec
1987 Jeep XJ
The Build Thread
Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:59 pm
Posts: 2127
Location: Navarre FL
JBAs luxury ride is marketing hype


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:34 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Dent wrote:
My Liberty is not going to be an extreme offroad vehicle, and it will be my daily driver. I like the claims about the ride quality on the JBA, and I might add steel bumpers in the future. Will the lifted jeep with the Econo-lift (Tommudd's) suffer in ride quality compared to the JBA?

I also understand that there are reasons why the JBA costs more than the Econo-lift, I just don't know what the reasons are. As for comparing the two, I am trying to determine which fits better in my budget, application, and expectations. The whole apples/oranges cliches are silly. Everyone knows apples are for pies and oranges are for juice. If two things are the same, there is no reason to compare them, they are the same. It's when things are different that comparisons result to a choice, gaining some things and sacrificing others. So I appreciate hearing experiences and opinions on both kits.


Having ran a couple different full coil lift sit at over 4 inches of lift for over 150,000 miles, then the Coilover there are differences of course . As far as ride some will be able to tell some won't. Know from experience some wouldn't know if they were riding in a Mercedes or a buck board.
As far as only being street driven/DD I assume you'd like to have a good ride all the time right?

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:05 pm
Posts: 275
Right Tom, I would like to keep a decent ride, but I have driven many different cars for DDs from a Jeep Cherokee that rides really rough compared to a Mercedes sedan. The Liberty is certainly no Mercedes, but it's much smoother and handles better than my Cherokee. I will be taking the Liberty offroad, but mostly on well beaten trails. I have had it offroad in stock configuration, but even taking is slow, I sometimes bottom out on trails rated 2-3 on traildamage.com.

_________________
JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
And with even a full OME spring lift it will ride 20 times better than stock ( or 35 times better than a XJ, yes owned 3 so know how they rode)
As far as a Mercedes, never owned anything that had to be transported here.
Of course there is a Toyota in Tanzania but that's a different case :ROTFL:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:18 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:59 pm
Posts: 808
Location: NJ
tommudd wrote:
And with even a full OME spring lift it will ride 20 times better than stock ( or 35 times better than a XJ, yes owned 3 so know how they rode)
As far as a Mercedes, never owned anything that had to be transported here.
Of course there is a Toyota in Tanzania but that's a different case :ROTFL:

I can attest the OME SPRINGS and bilstein shocks are a huge difference over stock I'm at almost 3" with my lift and loving everything on my Kk

_________________
2012 KK Cherokee * Arctic by Musclez * Mineral Gray
- Too Much to list BUILD THREAD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift kit Tommudd vs. JBA 4"
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:32 am
Posts: 3100
Location: Philadelphia, PA
I have the 4 inch JBA, which I got used from a LOST member who sold his jeep... The ride is much better than stock on the street and offroad it is great. I have been wheeling it for the last 6 weeks in the PA mountains on gated forest roads and bulldozed firebreaks (forest ecologist, so it's my job). I haven't bottomed out yet and it handles rough terrain extremely well. I couldn't be happier. As for adjusting the ride height back up, I have done that once to compensate for a little bit of extra weight (ATH's front recovery system) and about 1/2 inch of sag as the front springs settled in. I now have nearly 10K on it. I'm running 21-1/2 up front and 22 inches rear (center of the wheel to fender flare).

_________________
2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
Image
Jeepin By Al 4" Lift Kit
BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com