It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:44 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 pm
Posts: 28
Hi guys,

I am stuck on a camp site on holiday miles away from home and I found out that my indicators (also called turning lamps by some) are not working any more. After investigation I found out that Fuse 39 had blown. It protects the indicators but also the rear white reverse lamp. I replaced it by same model mini blade 10 A but it blew straight away. I tried without touching the indicators switch but by just turning the ignition to On and it blew Fuse 39 again.

I am out of ideas but I can tell there is a short somewhere but can't find where and I'm not supposed to drive like that as it's illegal.

Any one who has experienced the same problem or have a good idea of what could be the cause could you please help me?

Many thanks,

Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:03 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 pm
Posts: 523
Start by checking all involved bulbs and their sockets. Any filaments crossed? Any char marks in the sockets?

_________________
2005 Liberty Renegade, Bright Silver Metallic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:56 am
Posts: 305
Do you have trailer light wiring or is it hooked up to a trailer right now? If so try disconnecting it and install a new fuse.

_________________
2006 Sport 4X4, Deep Beryl Green, NSG370, NV241J, Lifted with OME 927/948 and Bilstein, JBA 4.5 UCA's, Custom 3" Rear Y-Link Extension and Swaybar Relocation, 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Black Plastidipped bumpers, flares, and doors, Pioneer speakers, Alpine head unit, 1200w Phoenix Gold Amp, 12" Dayton Reference sub.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 pm
Posts: 28
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies but I forgot to mention earlier that all the indicators lights work when I press the Hazard switch so I don't think it is necessary to check all sockets.

I have no trailer and not even a trailer socket connected.

What happened is that I had a cool box connected to the rear cigarette lighter Friday on my way to camp site and I forgot to unplug it overnight so Saturday morning my main Battery was flat. My KJ has an auxiliary Battery properly wired via relay by a professional.
This battery is only there for my roof LEDs spot lights and just in case the main battery lets me down. So Saturday morning I had to turn a rotative switch to get the starter motor connected to battery 2 (auxiliary) instead of battery 1 (main). I started the car then turned the switch back to battery 1 so when driving the main battery gets recharged and the auxiliary takes the charge only when the main one is 95% full via a relay.

Like I said earlier this set up might seem dodgy to some of you but it was fitted by a professional 6 months ago and is commonly used by people with caravans or camper vans.

I welcome your suggestions.

Cheers,

Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Fremont CA
Try swaping batteries (good battery in tray 1) and replace the fuse and see if that works. Are there any relays or fuses for additional battery?

_________________
Outlaw KJ '04 4X4 v6 Sport
Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:37 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:24 am
Posts: 77
Location: Virginia
I had that same issue ended up being a wire harness near front drive shaft was rubbing up against it and caused the wires to go bear electrical taped it real good and relocated it problem fixed


03 renegade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:37 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 pm
Posts: 28
Vajeepinkj wrote:
I had that same issue ended up being a wire harness near front drive shaft was rubbing up against it and caused the wires to go bear electrical taped it real good and relocated it problem fixed


03 renegade


Thanks for that but I just checked every wire harnesses that I can see from under the body or from the engine compartment and nothing seems damaged.

Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:34 pm
Posts: 8
Location: connecticut
Vajeepinkj wrote:
I had that same issue ended up being a wire harness near front drive shaft was rubbing up against it and caused the wires to go bear electrical taped it real good and relocated it problem fixed


03 renegade


funny... i had the exact same thing to me and just posted in another forum.

_________________
2004 jeep liberty columbia edition
295K+ miles
stuff... things


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Help required Fuse 39 keeps blowing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:24 am
Posts: 77
Location: Virginia
mightybeet wrote:
Vajeepinkj wrote:
I had that same issue ended up being a wire harness near front drive shaft was rubbing up against it and caused the wires to go bear electrical taped it real good and relocated it problem fixed


03 renegade


funny... i had the exact same thing to me and just posted in another forum.

Yea took me a min to fine it first I undid the trailer harness and then finally found that


03 renegade


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com