It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2005 Liberty question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:09 pm
Posts: 7
I was thinking about buying a used 2005 Liberty with the diesel. It has 109000 miles and seems to be in good shape. I have had other diesel pickups and a few cars. Some good and some really bad and all were bought new. Are they good if they were taken care of or are they something I have to tinker with all the time? I don't need another project or job but I do like the diesel thing. Next question anyone know the approximant value of something like this ?I bought a new Ford with a 6.0 new , really bad before I had a chevy with a 6.5 not good either. In 2010 I bought a new Dodge with a 6.7 and did the deletes and its been great. I like this Liberty but I'm a little afraid, should I be ? Tim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:40 pm
Posts: 65
With that one you are looking at make sure the timing belt has been changed, if not it needs to be done right away. And the CRD is just like every other diesel, You get out what you put in !!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 am
Posts: 347
Location: MN
Run through the normal checks you would on any vehicle.

Honestly, you read too much on this forum you will run for the hills.

122k on the clock and only maintenance done since I bought it at 70k. Can't speak for prices, check the for sale here, as well as www.searchtempest.com

_________________
-Rich
It must be air in the fuel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:09 pm
Posts: 7
[quote="Rich"]Run through the normal checks you would on any vehicle.

Honestly, you read too much on this forum you will run for the hills.

122k on the clock and only maintenance done since I bought it at 70k. Can't speak for prices, check the for sale here, as well as http://www.searchtempest.com[/quote Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:09 pm
Posts: 7
Pararig wrote:
With that one you are looking at make sure the timing belt has been changed, if not it needs to be done right away. And the CRD is just like every other diesel, You get out what you put in !!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the infor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm
Posts: 2294
Location: Sumter, SC
Post this under crd love the torque, you can get more opinions there.

To your question: known issues with crd is the bad egr, if the truck has many miles running stock, first thing to do is delete the egr (or get a green diesel engineering tune), inspect the rockers since they get eaten by the egr soot and they may fail, especially if the oil change was not made too often or with improper nonsynthetic oil. I'd make sure the engine had a timing belt and water pump change (ask for receipts), should have been done at 100k, at 100k the coolant should be flushed with zerex g05. Also, the torque converter is pretty weak for the torque of crd, but there are alternatives like Suncoast. You may also need a lift pump, some owners experience air in fuel due to bad design on the fuel lines connectors to the fuel tank. I'd say for those miles the jeep has to consider adding a few thousand bucks to make the car really reliable and also have the peace of mind. I made all the mods that I considered important and I have had absolutely no issues with the crd, it's one of the best and most reliable vehicle I have owned.

_________________
2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com