It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:37 pm
Posts: 165
I'd like to get everyones opinion on this. I bought a used hypertech from a guy in riverside california. He sent me the programmer and when I tried to use it, it was locked to his vin. He said he would refund my money to make it right. a month and 5 "ill send it tonights" later the guy still has not refunded my money. I called my local sheriff and he even called the guy but he will not respond. I'm considering finalizing a police report but dont think the cops will do anything about it.

I have all the messages between myself and the guy. Including where he said for sure it was not vin locked.

I have the guys full name, e-mail address, home address, cell phone number.

What would you do? I know its only 180 bucks but I think its the point. I do have the option of going to california and showing up on his porch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:13 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Do the police report,file a lawsuit through small claims court with his info.He will be informed and if he does not show up a warrant for his arrest will be issued.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:16 pm
Posts: 244
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Was it someone on here? If so blast them out.

Happened to me a long time ago with a ZEX nitrous kit. Paid the guy around $200 or so. Never sent anything. Called the police and they even visited him but nothing. He tried posting up that I scammed him but that didn't work for him when I showed the mods the back and forth with us. In the end I lost my money and never heard from the dude again. This was like 9+ years ago too though so I'm sure cyber laws have changed a lot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
2010 Jeep JK - Mango Tango
TeraFlex 2.5 suspension lift
Rancho RS9000Xl adjustable shocks
Tom Woods 1310 Front driveshaft
JKS Quicker front Disconnects
Synergy 1.75" Wheel spacer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm
Posts: 3278
Location: Jersey
You could call Hypertech and get their recommendations.
I definitely think you should go forward with the police report.
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it wasn't intentional, but he's failing to help fix the problem.

_________________
2008 Black Jeep Liberty Sport
4.7L throttle body
Old Man Emu lift
Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:16 pm
Posts: 244
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Another option. If you are close to the person. Show up at his house and kindly ask him to plug it in his car and restore it back to default so you can use the programmer. Maybe he just didn't realize he needed to do that? I dunno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
2010 Jeep JK - Mango Tango
TeraFlex 2.5 suspension lift
Rancho RS9000Xl adjustable shocks
Tom Woods 1310 Front driveshaft
JKS Quicker front Disconnects
Synergy 1.75" Wheel spacer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm
Posts: 3278
Location: Jersey
HedsIc wrote:
Another option. If you are close to the person. Show up at his house and kindly ask him to plug it in his car and restore it back to default so you can use the programmer. Maybe he just didn't realize he needed to do that? I dunno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Exactly. It's so easy to return to stock. It's very possible he just forgot to do so, but still the chance he wanted to rip someone off.

_________________
2008 Black Jeep Liberty Sport
4.7L throttle body
Old Man Emu lift
Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:06 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Colorado Springs
Did you pay by credit card? If so, call the credit card company. With a month elapse time, I'm sure you're SOL with paypal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:29 am
Posts: 378
Your not Sol with paypal as long as you didn't send the money as friend.

_________________
'05 LIBERY SPORT CRD
ORM AND EHM
OPTIMA REDTOP
AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES
HUSKY MOLDED FLOOR LINERS

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
FULL FORCE STAGE II INJECTORS
PHP CUSTOM TUNES 6POS SWITCH
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS
X-CODE FRONT LEAF SPRINGS (OEM LEVEL KIT)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you deal with someone that ripped out off
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:15 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm
Posts: 129
Either way there's still laws against it, and there's still actions you can take. I believe you have to call the sheriff's office that's local to the seller and file a report. They have gotten pretty tight on online fraud these days, so it shouldn't be too hard. Last time it happened to me (yea happened more than once), the kids local sheriff had it straightened out fairly quickly. I just explained that I wanted my money back or parts and they could do whatever they wanted from there.

I don't think I'd advise just showing up to the guys house unless an Leo was with you though. What ever they are putting in the water has made people get a little crazy these days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com