It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ok which is it?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:51 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
I've got a small trans leak, just need to replace the pan seal. For the time being I have just been keeping an eye on it (its a really slow leak) However on the dip stick of the transmission it says to check the fluid with the vehicle at operating temp and the trans sitting idle in neutral. My owners manual says the same but to have the trans in park. Which is it, so I can get an accurate reading?

Its an 04 with a 3.7L if that matters..

_________________
2004- Jeep Liberty
2016- Jeep Wrangler unlimited
1981- Jeep CJ-5
1977- Jeep CJ-5


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ok which is it?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:23 am
Posts: 73
Location: North Central Maryland
Park is fine.

_________________
02 Limited 179K (GONE)
05 Limited 71K (DD)
Lots to do... too little time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ok which is it?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:53 am
Posts: 1343
I've always done park...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ok which is it?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:11 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Colorado Springs
If the trans dipstick says neutral, then use that. In the past on Chrysler trannys, I've seen it make a decent amount of difference in fluid level.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ok which is it?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:42 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
streetglideok wrote:
If the trans dipstick says neutral, then use that. In the past on Chrysler trannys, I've seen it make a decent amount of difference in fluid level.


Yeah I know in order to get the right fluid level out of my TJ (30RH) the trans has to be in neutral. It was just odd to me that the owners manual says one thing and the dip stick says another.

_________________
2004- Jeep Liberty
2016- Jeep Wrangler unlimited
1981- Jeep CJ-5
1977- Jeep CJ-5


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ok which is it?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:23 am
Posts: 73
Location: North Central Maryland
I just had to try it so I did it both ways today and no difference. My dipstick says neutral too and I never saw it until this thread made me look. In the future I will probably check it in neutral.

Just make sure your ebrake works well :mrgreen:

_________________
02 Limited 179K (GONE)
05 Limited 71K (DD)
Lots to do... too little time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ok which is it?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
It doesn't so a block of wood behind one of the tires is my e-brake! :oops:

_________________
2004- Jeep Liberty
2016- Jeep Wrangler unlimited
1981- Jeep CJ-5
1977- Jeep CJ-5


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com