It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2002 Liberty - egr tube or head gasket
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:21 pm
Posts: 1
My apologies if this has been covered in other forums, but I'm unable to resolve a problem I have with my 2002 liberty. I'm an old hemrodder from the days pre computer and know what a blown head gasket looks and smells like. I could swear that this is a blown head gasket but for a couple of things nothing in the radiator to indicate oil, nothing in the oil to indicate coolant, both appear proper in colour. Started just before christmas, billowing white puffy smoke that would clear after 5-10 minutes of driving then nothing. I ran it over the holidays with the same routine and travelled several hundred miles over the holidays. I used it the same way for a week, then I noticed the heater blowing cold - I checked the coolant and it was pretty much empty. I got it home parked it and was pretty sure I had a blown head gasket and was planning on parting it out as it has over 180,000 miles on it. I am reluctant as I've just replaced upper and lower ball joints, replaced the front diff, radiator and brakes.
When I moved it (it's been sitting in back yard since Jan.1) I could hear a spitting sound coming from underneath... I could immediately see that fluid was coming out of the leading lower edge of the muffler, couldn't tell whether it was clear or colored but it felt like water not coolant.
So not getting coolant in oil, no oil in coolant. Truck runs normal, no misses or fluctuations in thermo levels.
So to the lostjeep community - blown head gasket? or could the mechanic have missed something when replacing the front diff? Egr valve?
Would like to keep it on the road for a couple more years, but not ready to dump another couple grand into it. I suspect there's something else ready to go.
Many thanks in advance


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2002 Liberty - egr tube or head gasket
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:58 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
No EGR on a '02 KJ so that's not your issue.

Get it block tested..................

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Leak-Detector-Kit-Engine-Block-Test-Tools-Inc-/_/R-BK_7001006_0006398563


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com