It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Which OME springs are right for me
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:03 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm
Posts: 129
Hey guys, I am doing a little bit of multi-tasking with my kj. I'm working on a SAS swap, but have a ways to go before the actual teardown. I want to replace my sagged out stock crap, and go through and replace what's bad or on its way to going bad. Although this setup will be temporary, I want to at least make the thing more capable and have a better ride. I'm sitting at 17" drivers front, 17 1/8" passenger front, and after that I didnt bother measuring the back. I have new 235/70-16's, and I want to run them for a little while. I plan to throw on some 245/75-16 km2's that I already have at some point. Im dead set on running OME coils with bilsteins. Im down between the 925/947, 926/947, and 926/948 Im not interested in the HD, I dont tow, and I dont have heavy gear. I want it to sit level, with no rake, but not booty heavy either. No extras at this time besides what's needed to level out. My main thing is to not have as much lift to make my stock tires look too small, but also be able to fit my 245's(with top plate, clevis, iso's if need be) when the time comes. I borrowed a pic of what Im after(HoosierJeepers from jkj, on stock tires)
Image
. Heres my main goals:
1) Best on road ride possible
2) Will look decent after settling/level with my stock size tires, but will fit 245's with extras

My main concern with the 925/947 is the near stock spring rate, and it sagging too much. I think that maybe the 926/947 would work for me better. I would go 926/948, but worried the rear would be too stiff. Like stated, not interested in HD coils, and I plan to run stock armor until SAS time. The only real weight would be a 245/75 spare, and a receiver cargo carrier a couple times a year. Im aiming for 1.5-2"(2.5" max) after its level and settled in. Between the springs listed, which would do what I want. Biggest concern is best street ride. Thanks guys!


Sent from The Bunny Ranch using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which OME springs are right for me
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:18 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
First not sure why you don't want HDs, have seen many that went lighter duty then switched over the year. But 948s won't be to harsh of a ride, in reality they are not that much more than stock .
You're 2 inches below stock height now, so any springs are going to give you somewhere around 4 -5 inches of lift over where you are now.
Look at the Ironman setup, just use the whole kit as is, great ride , will still give lift but without top plates etc not as lift.

Something else to think about, since you say this will be a temp lift, I'd look at resale value down the road. Yo can sell the 927/948 combo WAY easier than say the 926-947 which no one wants. I only install the 927-948 and never had anyone complain about the ride etc. Its not a rough ride like some think
Plus you want 245-75s so you need the lift to run them. You also state you want up to 2.5 inches over new stock height, so all leads point to the 927/948 combo with out the clevis or top plate .

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which OME springs are right for me
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:21 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm
Posts: 129
I actually have the ome HD kit, but I decided to swap it out for a couple of different reasons. First off, after searching I decided the ome shocks will be too soft for my taste. As far as the springs, I actually like the factory spring rate, but it still tends to be too soft. I met a guy locally that is running the 927/948 with a 3/8 rro top plate to level it out. He didnt have any extra weight, and was on 245/75 Mastercraft Courser C/T's @30psi on soft 8's. I noticed the ome sticker on his rear window, so we got to talking. After he took me for a ride, then let me drive it, I decided that the HD would be too stiff for my liking. Don't get me wrong, it rode great , but I think with bilsteins it would be much stiffer. He said he has had the lift on for about 7months/15k miles, so Im sure it was broken in. This is my dd, family outing rig, and will be the expedition rig before/after the sas. I just think a softer rate then the HD will be better. Im kinda leaning towards the 926/948, which can still sit fairly tall with extras when I decide to put the bigger tires on. I like the stock ride, but theres times where it would be better with a higher spring rate. Somewhere in the 365-375lb/in area is where Im aiming for up front.



Sent from The Bunny Ranch using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which OME springs are right for me
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:33 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am
Posts: 1
I'm really interested in this as we have a stock kj on completely shot springs and dampers. They are so bad that on the road the whole vehicle shudders and bangs going through road bumps. It's odd because it only has 120000km on it.

I am considering the OME kit for a lift back to pre-lowered for adventure type off roading (getting to sea kayak launch sites etc) and I want the best road ride available.

Are the dampers on the OME kit best?

_________________
Using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which OME springs are right for me
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:00 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am
Posts: 1236
Jasonwd wrote:
Are the dampers on the OME kit best?


Cant go wrong with OME or Bilstein. I have bilstein and love them.

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which OME springs are right for me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm
Posts: 129
I ended up going with the 926/947, and bilstein shocks (Dakota rear). The ride is so much better then stock it's not even comparable. The only thing I don't like is the rear feels "springy". I noticed I'm running the rear shocks shaft down/body up, and everyone else is running them like stock. The bilstein sticker would be upside down if I ran them body down shaft up. It's not too bad, and reminds me of my TJ when I tried to run the rear shaft down (for clearance). I did moog lower bj's, replacement uppers, power slot pads and rotors, and a few other small things. Here's a few pics to update this:

Rear finished. I have since removed the boots. Should I flip the shocks around? Would that help with the "springy" feeling for the rear?
Image
Moog PS lbj's
Image
3 ring clevis
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which OME springs are right for me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm
Posts: 129
Old crap. These guys were dangerously worn. The stud just flops around when you hold them in your hand, and they had about 1/4" of up and down play. After seeing how bad they were, I couldn't believe I was driving around like that.
Image

Before shot:
Image

After w/o clevis
Image
Image

As she sits today with 3 ring clevis
Image
Image

That last pic looks nose high, but it's not. I'm just over 21.5" rear, and a little under 22.5" front. I'm still waiting on my TF front bumpstops, and my ebay hockey pucks to get here. I'm going first thing in the morning for an alignment. At full droop the uca isn't even close to touching the spring/strut. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and it doesn't look TOO bad with the stock 235/70's. Here's the breakdown of cost, which after some shopping around I saved a good bit.

Springs: JBA $327.19 shipped
Front bilstein: ebay $81.99 ea. Shipped
Rear bilstein: mudflaps.com $62.69 shipped
Moog k3199: amazon $78.96 shipped (for both)
Moog uppers: amazon $86.62ea. Shipped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which OME springs are right for me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:39 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Your rear shocks are mounted correctly and being Dakota rear shocks they will be softer then correct valved shocks for a KJ which is much heavier in the rear then a Dakota.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com