ChooChooman74 wrote:
I took a trip off from my rail job so I can bring my Libby to get some work done, mostly Suncoast TC and other minor work. I noticed that the Ram 1500 that was en-route to a local dealership had arrived (I was actively checking 8 local dealerships). So, what did I do? I took the short trip to the dealership to take a test drive.
They brought it around to me, so it was running when I walked outside. I was amazed at how nice and quiet it was. I was up and under and all around that thing. Few things I noticed mechanically.
[*]Transmission pan is ribbed and aluminum, sort of like a Mag-hytec pan.
[*]Oil drain looks to be just just higher than the crossmember. I may be scared to put a Fumoto valve.
[*]Fan is a nice big electric
[*]There is so much available information on the multi-display. Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Transmission Temp, Water Temp were the things I remembered.
Not driving a pickup since the 90s, I wasn't use to the harder ride, but it was comfortable. 1st gear, even with the 3.55 gears, was really low. Just like the CRD, it took a second to build a little boost to get full power. There were no problems accelerating. The transmission selection will take time to get use to. The rotary dial is different, and the +/- gear selection on the steering wheel was convenient. Just like my Caliber, if you want to go from manual selection to automatic, just hole the + or - button for a few seconds.
Driving was nice and quiet. Basically, you could not tell that it was a diesel. It was enjoyable.
Reasons why did I not buy it now.
1) No Integrated Trailer Brake. That is a deal breaker.
2) No Trailer Tow Mirrors. Deal breaker #2
3) 3.55 gears instead of 3.92 gears. 1000lb difference in tow rating.
4) Not an Outdoorsman with the LT tires. This is not a deal breaker, as I would get aftermarket rims and tires.
5) Bucket seats instead of 40/20/40 bench seat. Again, not a must have, but we occasionally want to have 6 people to go places and not want to take 2 vehicles.
On the way home, I spotted my first Libby CRD since July of last year. I need to make cards to hand out about this site.
If the first gear is so low with the 3.55, how much is the 3.92 going to help? The thing has 8 speeds, it should be able to have a low first, a really tall 8th for highway, and any gear you could possibly want in between, regardless of axle ratio.
Edit: I just looked it up and that 8 speed has a 4.696 1st gear ratio, compared to the 545rfe that has a 3.00. With a 3.55 rear end, that first gear would be equal a 5.7:1 axle ratio on a 545rfe.