It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
I know this has been discussed in the past, but did they finally make an OX to fix the rear of our KJs, or is the website I am looking at just wrong? They have one that claims to fit the Jks.

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm
Posts: 2294
Location: Sumter, SC
I think so, I remember seeing them few months ago on Randy's ring and pinion when I got my eaton posi. I think they have it for front too, but not sure, they may be yukons... Wouldn't use a front locker though in an aluminum casing... Unless using it exclusively in snow and sand.

Edit: Randy's ring and pinion does not have it, they have Yukon only. Which is arguably better than arb for some people...

_________________
2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am
Posts: 1236
I have front and rear OX. Love them. A minor little mod for the mount on the d30a , but its easy with with a grinder.

Id run a locker in a d30a in a heart beat. Use it smart and keep you foot out of the floor and the d30a does just fine.

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:31 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
:rockon: that's great news! I've heard of too many issue with air leaks on the ARB's, granted it's probably just improper installation. But, I don't want a locker that is tricky to set up just right or it doesn't work. I'm hoping to get a JBA front dif eventually, and replace my DTT with an Ox, but I'll start with a rear Ox for now.
Now the question is, electric or mechanical? No thanks on the air...

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 am
Posts: 1439
Location: Pennsylvania -> Colorado
not much of a fan of the "lockers" that unlock under no load. that being said, I've never driven one with them on a jeep before. no Jeep owner are fans of LSD, if you are, get out of the mall!

_________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK 109k miles and stong
4" lift.
Gen 5.5 A-Arms
Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle -> Jasper for the long-term win!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:25 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:35 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
I run auto lockers in everything.

sent on tapatalk

_________________
Jeepless again.

Wheeling an Isuzu Rodeo on 1 tons
and a Stock Chevy Tracker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm
Posts: 2294
Location: Sumter, SC
For just driving in non "true" offroad condition, a rear posi and front on demand rock. And it's easy to handle it. When you get serious, you need in demand on both axles, and imo an advance adapters transfer case. But for true offroad, I'd sell the liberty and get a wrangler or at least a Cherokee xj. Unless you swap a sfa, liberty will never be a true off-roader, period. Even though I think that bone stock, is one of the best vehicles for light snow, up to 1.5 ft.

_________________
2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm
Posts: 2294
Location: Sumter, SC
Mountainman wrote:
:rockon: that's great news! I've heard of too many issue with air leaks on the ARB's, granted it's probably just improper installation. But, I don't want a locker that is tricky to set up just right or it doesn't work. I'm hoping to get a JBA front dif eventually, and replace my DTT with an Ox, but I'll start with a rear Ox for now.
Now the question is, electric or mechanical? No thanks on the air...


A properly installed arb is very good. Never heard anybody that installed it on his own knowing what he's doing complain about it. It's all about sealing it properly and routing the lines smart. But it requires some maintenance, way more than a Detroit or an ox, or even an elocker eaton. I'd also go with a dual ox locker (I saw a while ago they have elocker with manual override but not sure for what axles, so you won't have to mess with the cables). I think that's the easiest best way to have a locker. I also am not a fan of air lockers, mainly because of the need to have an additional compressor, more things that can break, even though arb compressors, especially the dual are insanely awesome to have in the jeep.

_________________
2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:25 pm
Posts: 20
I wouldn't bash the arb lockers. Plus the "extra stuff that can break" is so useful on the trail. Having on board air is one of the nicest things you can ask for. Short story, I was jeeping up John bull in big bear when my buddy ripped a valve stem out of his lifted jk. Luckily he had spares in the glove box and an on board air compressor to run his lockers. Even though the tire came off the bead we where still able to get it seated again and air it up right there in the middle of no where. No cell service, no one for miles, but still no long drawn out recovery of his broken jeep, just maybe a short 20 minute hault then back to a great day of wheeling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1627
Location: Massachusetts
How would an OX improve on a DTT?

DOC

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:38 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
Well, the DTT gives something like 10-30% of the "power" (I wish they would say x % of rotation) to the other tire if one is slipping, where the OX or ARB would give the same rotation to both tires regardless of slippage. Maybe you can get more out of the DTT if you ride the brake, but maybe that's to get any rotation??

But, my main reason for change is that the DTT pulls a little to one side, and anything but an open dif isn't cool on the ice I drive on all too often. I didn't factor this in when I installed it, because I wasn't thinking about the fact that the front "hubs" are always "locked" :banghead:

Additionally, if you lock in the DTT or a lunch box locker on slick roads, you are asking for trouble since they pull and jerk unevenly, so now you wish you could run 4wd so you don't break the back tires free when you touch the go pedal, but you can't because they are dangerous, and then to make matters worse, if you do decide to lock them in anyhow and then go across a bear piece of pavement on a tight corner, bam, you just blew up your dif (not for use on surfaces with no give). But, if you have a selectable locker, you shift into 4wd, and you have a stock open dif 4wd basically. Only when you actually lock the locker itself, does it make it a no go on pavement.

I've disabled my old 4runner, and now my libby with non selectable front LSD & an auto locker. Makes a really nasty feeling when you hit pavement with the Aussie locker in my Yota.

I should have saved the $$ and just bought a selectable first time around so I'd be good to use 4wd on the solid ice roads.

Thanks for all of the comments fellas! I think the electric OX with "manual override" does sound like an awesome set up :rockon:

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:37 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am
Posts: 1236
With OX you can do with Air, electric, or cable. And you can switch them all out and around.

IF something was to happen, air compressor breaks, electronic promblem, cable breaks, they have a "get hone device" that you screw into the housing and you can lock and unlock with that.

I have air hooked up to mine, but i can easily change it over.

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:52 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 am
Posts: 1439
Location: Pennsylvania -> Colorado
KKs have d30s with 3.73s from the factory correct? front and rear? 27 spline.

I know the rear is 3.73, but not sure about the front, i don't think the tag in the front had 3.73 punched in on it.

_________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK 109k miles and stong
4" lift.
Gen 5.5 A-Arms
Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle -> Jasper for the long-term win!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:08 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am
Posts: 1236
PALiftedKK wrote:
KKs have d30s with 3.73s from the factory correct? front and rear? 27 spline.

I know the rear is 3.73, but not sure about the front, i don't think the tag in the front had 3.73 punched in on it.

The KKs has a d30m (uses d30 carrier) in front and 8.25 Chrysler in the rear. If you had 3.73s in the rear, then you have 3.73s in the front.

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:11 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:14 pm
Posts: 2377
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Front and rear gears have to match. Both have 3.73 gears. Front is a Dana 30, same as a JK aside from being the ifs version. I believe its 27 spline. The rear is a Chrysler 8.25, 29 spline.

_________________
2011 Deep Cherry Red KK - Skyslider - JBA/Bilstein Adjust-A-Strut set at 3.5" - OME 731 Rear Springs - Bilstein Rear Shocks - Al's A-arms - 245/75-16 Duratracs - Rock Liazard Super Sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:18 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 am
Posts: 1439
Location: Pennsylvania -> Colorado
you guys already have me hooked on OX lockers. there's so much to do to my KK before summer. every thing is basically at a halt due to me moving though. true lockers are a necessity for me because i go mudding and most of the time get myself in trouble. pretty sure the next thing on my list is a switch panel! i don't have any other places in the jeep to install switches nicely. still on the hunt for a nice factory looking switch panel.

didn't mean to highjack this KJs.

_________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK 109k miles and stong
4" lift.
Gen 5.5 A-Arms
Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle -> Jasper for the long-term win!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:24 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 am
Posts: 1439
Location: Pennsylvania -> Colorado
4x4kayak2112 wrote:
With OX you can do with Air, electric, or cable. And you can switch them all out and around.

IF something was to happen, air compressor breaks, electronic promblem, cable breaks, they have a "get hone device" that you screw into the housing and you can lock and unlock with that.

I have air hooked up to mine, but i can easily change it over.



their electronic shifter seems pretty cool! although its a manual version just with a motor/pump attached to the cable.

_________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK 109k miles and stong
4" lift.
Gen 5.5 A-Arms
Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle -> Jasper for the long-term win!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
PALiftedKK wrote:
you guys already have me hooked on OX lockers. there's so much to do to my KK before summer. every thing is basically at a halt due to me moving though. true lockers are a necessity for me because i go mudding and most of the time get myself in trouble. pretty sure the next thing on my list is a switch panel! i don't have any other places in the jeep to install switches nicely. still on the hunt for a nice factory looking switch panel.

didn't mean to highjack this KJs.



No sweat, I like the added commentary. And man, I hate mud. I have to go through it some places I go, but I can't stand to do all of the clean-up, and it gets in by the window seals. There are lots of rock in the mud where I'm from, so it grinds and eats everything. I remember mudding back in Appalachia when I was stationed in VA though, nice smooth mud that didn't eat everything.

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
Yeah, should be easy to route the wires for an e-locking Ox. Now I just need to get my old 4runner sold to fund this.

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ox lockers, again...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 am
Posts: 1439
Location: Pennsylvania -> Colorado
the trails that I go on, clay.... absolutely hate it! you sink in it and its a bugger to detail it. nothing a clay bar cant handle.

I don't do swamps or anything like that, but a trail with mud patches here and there, yep, yep, that's where its at! :lol:

I wont know whats in my diffs until I pop them open. the last owner seemed to like beaches. the diffs have the tag on, but not quite sold yet that theirs factory lsd bld in there. and if there is, then boy did jeep do a great job in fooling me! ive driven trucks before with lockers and my KK drives the exact same.

part off your Toyota!

_________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK 109k miles and stong
4" lift.
Gen 5.5 A-Arms
Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle -> Jasper for the long-term win!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com