It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Front Drive shaft replace -- heavy vibration over 60
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:48 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 69
I've recently had my front driveshaft replaced to stop the chain dragging sounds from the rear joint on the shaft being worn out. Now I am getting a heavy vibration that gets progressively worse with speed once I hit 60mph. I took it back to the shop and had them replace it with yet another driveshaft but still the same issue. Actually somehow its worse. I was hoping the driveshaft wasn't balance or something but now I have no idea. They did drive it without the shaft and it had no issues. The previous shaft didn't have that vibration either.

Any ideas? Other than replacing the driveshaft again? I'm ready to just take it out completely and not have 4x4.

_________________
"Life's a Garden, Dig it"

2003 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Auto 4x4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Drive shaft replace -- heavy vibration over 60
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:57 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 4962
Location: Green Cove Springs FL
I'd first suspect wheel balance.

But if you remove the front driveshaft and the vibration goes away, you've fount the problem.

_________________
U.S. Army Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Drive shaft replace -- heavy vibration over 60
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:38 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
If they replaced it with a used shaft, it could be bent or bowed... :idea:

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Drive shaft replace -- heavy vibration over 60
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 69
Both shafts were new. They put one on, found the vibration, then warranty exchanged for another one, and it actually got a little worse. I'm thinking about just removing the front shaft, and then trying to fix the busted joint on the old one. I've got one of the replacement kits but its gonna be a pain.

I'm just trying to figure out why the old one would be fine but 2 different new ones are having issues. Its a pain in the booty. I try to get something fixed but now its worse.

_________________
"Life's a Garden, Dig it"

2003 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Auto 4x4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Drive shaft replace -- heavy vibration over 60
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
Are you sure the ones they are installing are for your vehicle?
What is your year & model and is it a diesel?

Note: you can add your vehicle's info to your signature which helps others when trying to give advice!

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Drive shaft replace -- heavy vibration over 60
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 69
2003 Liberty 3.7L 4x4
Driveshaft was a 16.5 length.

_________________
"Life's a Garden, Dig it"

2003 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Auto 4x4


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com