It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
Something I've been trying to get around to for awhile, messing with the SKIM. I grabbed a used one from a junkyard and set about reading the memory from it. After much research and experimentation I have found that the eeprom can be desoldered, read, and then the VIN and PIN read in the file.

I have also found the factory fresh eeprom file, next step is to load the factory fresh eeprom hex back to the used eeprom, resolder it, and then attempt to program the SKIM to an ECU as if it were a new in box SKIM.

This way a cheap skim from the junkyard can be programmed to work with any Jeep I need it to. If I can figure out the eeprom coding I could even program a used skim to a jeep and then install it and go, but at the very least I should be able to clone a SKIM.

In theory a cloned skim should work with your existing keys.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:10 am
Posts: 553
Location: Chico, CA
Pretty cool Sam! I love reading your threads.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

_________________
SOLD - 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
Gen2 Fuel Head - Magnaflow Exhaust - Ram transmission swap - In-Tank Lift Pump
Moab Wheels - 245/75/R16 LR E Cooper Discoverer AT3 Tires - OME Lift 790/90009 948/60069 - Etecno Glow Plugs - V6 Airbox
Pic of my Jeep!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 4962
Location: Green Cove Springs FL
Would be nice if the SKIM feature could be completely removed.
Or at least bypassed.
Somehow the bad guys are able to do it when stealing cars.

What about the 2005 gateway module?
Any hope in repairing those or bypassing them?
(When I dug through the FCM it appears that the SKIM connects through the gateway)

_________________
U.S. Army Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:09 pm
Posts: 561
Location: Australia
I am always impressed by what our IT smart members can do. If you nail this you probably have a nice little monet earner in the making.

_________________
Australian KJ CRD 2006


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:05 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:33 pm
Posts: 1128
Location: Jackson,TN
I am officially impressed :JEEPIN:
Keep up the excellent work !!!

_________________
05 Blu LIM, OME GDE Tbo, wk II 245/75/17, KC Lights, bull bar, 195K H TC
05 Blu Lim, Dayton, GDE HT, 255/75/18 , 210K , H TC
06 Bla Lim, GDE Eco, Destination AT 245/75/17, 151K, H TC
06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:08 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 1111
flash7210 wrote:
Would be nice if the SKIM feature could be completely removed.
Or at least bypassed.
Somehow the bad guys are able to do it when stealing cars.

What about the 2005 gateway module?
Any hope in repairing those or bypassing them?
(When I dug through the FCM it appears that the SKIM connects through the gateway)



Green Diesel can turn off the skim in the ecm tuning upon request.

_________________
Providers of wholly developed aftermarket solutions for the KJ CRD.
(248) 977 - 9531


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:00 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
As GDE pointed out turning off the SKIM is possible, I'm not sure what method they have to do it but what I have read online is that to do it you must heat up the ECU, remove the side cover, and then read via the pin pads to the BDM port of the processor. There is quite a bit of information online that is scattered around. It is on my list of things to do at some point - but with so many projects its way down the list.

From my understanding it is also possible to read the PIN on from the ECU as well using this method.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:42 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
That's good information to know! Keep up the good work.

Any advice from any of you IT experts on what can be done for the poor souls who are having issues with the Front Control Module that seems so far to be no longer available anywhere? :grim:
Are there any bench fixes or bypasses available for them?
GDE, Sir Sam, anybody?

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:54 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
WWDiesel wrote:
That's good information to know! Keep up the good work.

Any advice from any of you IT experts on what can be done for the poor souls who are having issues with the Front Control Module that seems so far to be no longer available anywhere? :grim:
Are there any bench fixes or bypasses available for them?
GDE, Sir Sam, anybody?


My comment in the other thread is that I was planning to grab a FCM from a durango or something similar, which appears to be on the outside the exact same hardware, and then open it up and see if there is anything we can read from it. My hope is that we could get a generic module and then clone it to what our FCM does.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:17 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
Sir Sam wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
That's good information to know! Keep up the good work.
Any advice from any of you IT experts on what can be done for the poor souls who are having issues with the Front Control Module that seems so far to be no longer available anywhere? :grim:
Are there any bench fixes or bypasses available for them?
GDE, Sir Sam, anybody?

My comment in the other thread is that I was planning to grab a FCM from a durango or something similar, which appears to be on the outside the exact same hardware, and then open it up and see if there is anything we can read from it. My hope is that we could get a generic module and then clone it to what our FCM does.

That would be wonderful and I know there are a couple members on here that would love to hear a success story on the subject.
If anyone happens to see an 05 in the boneyard, be sure and grab the FCM if it has one. They are going to become like GOLD due to their rarity. :banghead:

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 694
WWDiesel wrote:
That's good information to know! Keep up the good work.

Any advice from any of you IT experts on what can be done for the poor souls who are having issues with the Front Control Module that seems so far to be no longer available anywhere? :grim:
Are there any bench fixes or bypasses available for them?
GDE, Sir Sam, anybody?


In the absence of any better ideas, I'd suggest finding a known-good unit or two and using those to build an emulation of the original unit on an FPGA. That's not likely to happen quickly, though, and someone would have to be really motivated to do it. It could also potentially involve the destruction of the good units as part of the process.

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Limited 4x4:
245/75R16 BFG TA KO2s
OME / Clevis 2.5" Lift
JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:35 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 694
Sir Sam wrote:
Something I've been trying to get around to for awhile, messing with the SKIM. I grabbed a used one from a junkyard and set about reading the memory from it. After much research and experimentation I have found that the eeprom can be desoldered, read, and then the VIN and PIN read in the file.


Interesting... So does this mean that the VIN and PIN are stored in the EEPROM unencrypted?

I'm wondering what other hardware in the vehicle may take a similar approach.

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Limited 4x4:
245/75R16 BFG TA KO2s
OME / Clevis 2.5" Lift
JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
casm wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
That's good information to know! Keep up the good work.

Any advice from any of you IT experts on what can be done for the poor souls who are having issues with the Front Control Module that seems so far to be no longer available anywhere? :grim:
Are there any bench fixes or bypasses available for them?
GDE, Sir Sam, anybody?


In the absence of any better ideas, I'd suggest finding a known-good unit or two and using those to build an emulation of the original unit on an FPGA. That's not likely to happen quickly, though, and someone would have to be really motivated to do it. It could also potentially involve the destruction of the good units as part of the process.


Yup, could be some destruction happening, and take the right heads working on it. Again my best hope is to clone a different unit to ours. However I am not an embedded hardware/software guy, so I have to take some learning leaps to get anywhere with this stuff.

casm wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Something I've been trying to get around to for awhile, messing with the SKIM. I grabbed a used one from a junkyard and set about reading the memory from it. After much research and experimentation I have found that the eeprom can be desoldered, read, and then the VIN and PIN read in the file.


Interesting... So does this mean that the VIN and PIN are stored in the EEPROM unencrypted?

I'm wondering what other hardware in the vehicle may take a similar approach.


I think the VIN is stored unencrypted, but I think the pin must be encrypted. I haven't figured out how to read the pin from the SKIM bin file.

Now that I think about it, let me post the bin file for anyone who knows anything to take a crack at it.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:18 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 pm
Posts: 2505
Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Sir Sam wrote:
Something I've been trying to get around to for awhile, messing with the SKIM. I grabbed a used one from a junkyard and set about reading the memory from it. After much research and experimentation I have found that the eeprom can be desoldered, read, and then the VIN and PIN read in the file.

I have also found the factory fresh eeprom file, next step is to load the factory fresh eeprom hex back to the used eeprom, resolder it, and then attempt to program the SKIM to an ECU as if it were a new in box SKIM.

This way a cheap skim from the junkyard can be programmed to work with any Jeep I need it to. If I can figure out the eeprom coding I could even program a used skim to a jeep and then install it and go, but at the very least I should be able to clone a SKIM.

In theory a cloned skim should work with your existing keys.

What did you use to read and reprogram the eeprom? Back when those chips were current technology, the equipment for RW eeprom chips were $400 to $1400 plus the software to run it.

_________________
'06 Lbrty Sprt CRD 150K

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
GordnadoCRD wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Something I've been trying to get around to for awhile, messing with the SKIM. I grabbed a used one from a junkyard and set about reading the memory from it. After much research and experimentation I have found that the eeprom can be desoldered, read, and then the VIN and PIN read in the file.

I have also found the factory fresh eeprom file, next step is to load the factory fresh eeprom hex back to the used eeprom, resolder it, and then attempt to program the SKIM to an ECU as if it were a new in box SKIM.

This way a cheap skim from the junkyard can be programmed to work with any Jeep I need it to. If I can figure out the eeprom coding I could even program a used skim to a jeep and then install it and go, but at the very least I should be able to clone a SKIM.

In theory a cloned skim should work with your existing keys.

What did you use to read and reprogram the eeprom? Back when those chips were current technology, the equipment for RW eeprom chips were $400 to $1400 plus the software to run it.


I don't recall the model or where I bought it, but there are plenty of inexpensive ones out there:
https://www.amazon.com/Gikfun-Programme ... HXKH1J4VDY

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:55 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
Here is the link to the file if anyone wants to poke at it:

http://colorado4wheel.com/images/libby/ ... d_skim.BIN

VIN of vehicle was 1J4GL58555W617704

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:13 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:25 am
Posts: 17
\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\FF\00\00\FF\00\00\00\00\FF\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\FF\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\FF\ED\9FןW\B8E\91a\B6}E\91a\ED)\FD<\89\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FAMes\A6\00D\00\00Å\00\00P4C\00\00\00B\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\C75W6177041J4GL5855\00)\81"o2\81"z{\81"\C7\81"hЁ"\BCo \00\00\00\00
\00
\00\00\FF\FF\FF3V0 AE)ba\D9\00\00eA\97\99\00\00\00R\00Q\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\B2QD\00VU\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\C7\C6\C1\C0\00\FF2 egC@? \C4\C0\00\C4\C0L\FF$#\E3⦥\00 qp \00\00\0087on$#\00I4\FF\00\00\FF\00\00\FF\00\00\FF\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\FF\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\FF\00\00\00\00\00f\EF\9FܟY\B8E\91a\B6}E\91a\ED)\FD<\89\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FAMes\A6\00D\00\00Å\00\00P4C\00\00\00B\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\FF\C75W6177041J4GL5855\00)\81"o2\81"z{\81"\C7\81"hЁ"\BCo \00\00\00\00


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:48 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:25 am
Posts: 17
I have 2 screenshots I wish I could upload to show the raw info. There is a lot that is lost when I paste to this forum. And then more is lost when I submit the text.

Like for example there is a box between the last and first digit of the vin although it is broken up last 8 digits first [] then first 9 digits.

I could be wrong but that is the only instance of 4 digits I saw with what I opened it with.

Could you call Dodge with the VIN and get the PIN?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:25 am
Posts: 17
GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
Would be nice if the SKIM feature could be completely removed.
Or at least bypassed.
Somehow the bad guys are able to do it when stealing cars.

What about the 2005 gateway module?
Any hope in repairing those or bypassing them?
(When I dug through the FCM it appears that the SKIM connects through the gateway)



Green Diesel can turn off the skim in the ecm tuning upon request.


When you turn it off upon request, does the keyless entry still work? Or no because the SKIM module is on the WCM there in the column and has to be unplugged before installation?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hacking the SKIM.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:25 am
Posts: 17
Duster wrote:
GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
Would be nice if the SKIM feature could be completely removed.
Or at least bypassed.
Somehow the bad guys are able to do it when stealing cars.

What about the 2005 gateway module?
Any hope in repairing those or bypassing them?
(When I dug through the FCM it appears that the SKIM connects through the gateway)



Green Diesel can turn off the skim in the ecm tuning upon request.


When you turn it off upon request, does the keyless entry still work? Or no because the SKIM module is on the WCM there in the column and has to be unplugged before installation?


Well I didn't get a response, so I went through another source, ordered a computer programmed with my VIN and mileage, with the SKIM delete. They had said my keyless entry on my 07 liberty would still work although the directions said to make sure to unplug the SKIM / WCM in the column before install.

Well, not true, because the keyless entry doesn't work now. The SKIM / WCM is a dual function piece for both checking the sentry key stuff and receiver antenna for the remote keyless entry.

Now I am trying to figure out if there is any wire I can snip to prevent SKIM to Computer communications so I can keep the delete, but get my keyless entry back working.

Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know what else to do besides drive it out somewhere, swap the computer back to the old one, hook the skim up, and let them scan it so I can get the codes and try to hope that the SKIM / WCM proves to be good and the computer bad... which is possible, but doubtful.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com