It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from a turbo super noob
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello, Im in the market for a CRD Liberty and Im glad I found this site as it's full of great information. I hope some of you wont mind my tapping your brains for information. I've been reading a lot before my first post so I wont ask some questions that have been asked before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy

Welcome to LOST

(the Sammi sounds interesting - but where did you find a Toyota Diesel? - I thought the standard swap was VW )

Post subject: Land of the LOST
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:43 pm 
LOST Member

Welcome from the Dust bowl, and ask away.

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack
2 KC daylighters on bumper
2 Turn tables and a microphone

I want to leave this world like i came into it.... screaming, naked and covered in someone else's blood.

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/smith/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ATXKJ wrote:
Howdy

Welcome to LOST

(the Sammi sounds interesting - but where did you find a Toyota Diesel? - I thought the standard swap was VW )

The Samurai AND the 2L 2.4 liter four cyl diesel along with all the running gear came out of a Canadian one ton Toyota truck.

Here's a pic of her.

Post subject: Re: Land of the LOST
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SNAFU wrote:
Welcome from the Dust bowl, and ask away.

Thanks Snaf. Well Im picking up on the lingo and the mods pretty well. Im not new to diesels. I have a 1987 Toyota HJ60 with a 1994 Toyota 1HZ 4.2 liter inline six diesel in it. I have a 1987 Long Wheelbase Samurai with a Toyota 2.4 liter diesel in it. And I have a 2001 VW jetta TDI that dyno's 145HP and 220Ft pnds of torque!!!

All that said, I dont understand this Provent thing. Or is it the road tube? I dont get that either.

Thanks.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome to LOST! :twisted:

91 XJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

as part of the Emissions control - the CRD has a Closed Crankcase Ventilation system
This has the wondrous effect of blowing a fair amount of oil into your intercooler and intake manifold
The Provent is a 'filter' - really more of a condensation trap - that will condense the oil vapors to drain out of the bottom.
it's sized for an big diesel so about 3x bigger than the CRD needs - but it works very well.

some folks don't like the Provent - so they just plugged the intake manifold and vented the Crankcase fumes to a catchcan (the Elephant Hose Mod EHM)
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=22703

I prefer the Provent - although if I were starting over I'd get the smaller version made by the TDIGuy

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=296634#296634

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks AT. I have an elephant hose on my TDI, so now I get it. That seems like the easiest way to go. So, unplug the MAF and install the elephant hose an your good soot wise? Seems like a plan.

So unplug the MAF and install an elephant hose and youre good. Im looking for a LOW mileage CRD so maybe I can get away with not cleaning the intake after I install the hose and disconnect the MAF? Do you know what kind of hose people are using? Something heat resistant Id guess.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you figure a way to clean the intake - let us know - the only one who's done it was DieselToyz - and he pulled the head.
(prep for an Engine swap) - oh yeah - the intake manifold and camshaft mounts are one piece (they bolt on top of the head)

most folks start with Home Depot clear hose - just to make sure it works -
that then gets replaced with something oil/heat resistance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:31 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

ATXKJ wrote:
If you figure a way to clean the intake - let us know - the only one who's done it was DieselToyz - and he pulled the head.
(prep for an Engine swap) - oh yeah - the intake manifold and camshaft mounts are one piece (they bolt on top of the head)

most folks start with Home Depot clear hose - just to make sure it works -
that then gets replaced with something oil/heat resistance

Hydralic hose works well but like ATX says, just go with something cheap until you are sure of your routing and such, then you can get something more expensive and more permanent. Image

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MrK, sure would like to see a pic of your truck. I'm looking for a white limited meself. Hydrolic hose does sound good.