It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tranny fluid ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:44 am 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
So I need to service the tranny, ie change filters and refill. I was wondering about how many quarts of fluid I would need? I have an 05 sport with the auto tranny. Thanks peoples!

Mike

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:51 am 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
Pick up 5 qts, that should be plenty. When I changed mine last month it took a bit over 4 qts to get it into the normal range when warm. Make sure you get the ATF+4, either thru the dealer or at your local Wal-mart/auto supply store. IIRC Wal-mart even carries the Mopar brand ATF+4 fluid, probably cheaper than a dealer.

_________________
Kevin
AD5VG
Just another red Jeep in the world...
L.O.S.T. #KB051963


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:55 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:50 pm
Posts: 760
Location: nj
I think 5 or 6 quarts you should be fine. While you're under there may as well do the transfer case too. My 02' took like 8qts but i also had the valve body down to install the shift kit. Transfer case takes like 2qt if i'm not mistaken.

_________________
02' Sport- SOLD

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:00 am 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
Also, if you go any place but the dealer for the filter make sure you get the right one:
Image

Most of the auto supply stores only list the filter for the 45RFE tranny even though it was changed mid-2003 (I think) for the 42RLE. I wound up just putting the original filter back in, I'll change it in a couple of months.

_________________
Kevin
AD5VG
Just another red Jeep in the world...
L.O.S.T. #KB051963


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:17 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:50 pm
Posts: 760
Location: nj
the 45 also has a spin on filter for the cooler. pretty sure the 42 doesn't.

_________________
02' Sport- SOLD

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:24 am 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
You guys are the heat!!!! I plan on runnin ams oil produxxts for the tranny and transfer case. I was just curious on the amounts. Quick appreciated responses gentlemen! And corwynn thanks for the pics.

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: From Amsoil cross reference pages.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:36 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:31 am
Posts: 1029
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
I went to Amsoils cross reference page and just copied and pasted, in my experience when I converted my 02 Sport last year it was pretty dead on. These dcapacitys are for an '05. I had a quart and a half of ATF+4 left over and 2 quarts of engine oil left oil planned that way just in case of use and need of topping off. Just poped the oil filter last month and added 1 QT. to top off,no problems.
Yep it's all Amsoil. Hope it helps :D Have a good one. :twisted: :roll: :wink:

CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........5.0 quarts
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........14.0 quarts
Automatic Transmission, 4-Shallow Paneed Initial Fill..........4.0 quarts[1][2]
Automatic Transmission, 545RFE Initial Fill..........5.0 quarts[3][4]
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed 45RFE..........14.0 quarts
4 speed 42RLE..........8.8 quarts
Manual Transmission, NSG370..........3.2 pints
Differential, Front..........2.5 pints[5]
Differential, with 8.25 RBI Rear..........4.2 pints
Differential, Front..........2.5 pints[5]
Differential, with 8.25 RBI Rear..........4.2 pints
Transfer Case,NV231..........3.0 pints
Transfer Case,NV242..........3.4 pints
Transfer Case,NV241..........4.2 pints

1. With ENG at operating temperature, shift through all
gears. Check fluid level in NEUTRAL and add fluid
as needed.
2. DTC'S may be set , reset W/ DRB III, if necessary
3. With ENG at operating temperature, shift through all
gears. Check fluid level in NEUTRAL and add fluid
as needed.
4. DTC'S may be set , reset


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 am
Posts: 493
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Wouldn't it be better to flush it to get all of the fluid replaced?

_________________
'06 3.7 sport 6 speed (long live manual tranny's)
tinted windows, cruise, midnight blue
Mopar roof rack
Royal Purple Synchromax in tranny
Royal Purple Maxgear in pumpkins
Full mopar skids, front diff collar
Future mods: Rock rails, B.F. Goodrich all terains. (In my dreams: Frankenlift)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:44 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
hooperswish wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to flush it to get all of the fluid replaced?


True but more money and I don't really think I need it since I have no issues at all. Just need to do a filter swap and replenish the fluid.

Thanks Rush!! I am using AMS oil produsts for this as well! I was just curious if the numbers there were actually accurate compared to what others actually have done. After this there will be AMS Oil through out the pig to include even all the grease!! :D

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
kolesy wrote:
hooperswish wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to flush it to get all of the fluid replaced?


True but more money and I don't really think I need it since I have no issues at all. Just need to do a filter swap and replenish the fluid.

Thanks Rush!! I am using AMS oil produsts for this as well! I was just curious if the numbers there were actually accurate compared to what others actually have done. After this there will be AMS Oil through out the pig to include even all the grease!! :D


FYI, when I did mine, it took 6 qts. It might be because I drained it for a couple hours while doing other things but when I topped it off I ended up having to add the 6th Qt to bring it to the full mark on the dipstick when hot.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:28 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Thanks John!

Sorry bud but i found a local dealer who owns a part store with the stuff in stock otherwise you would of been my man! ;-)

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
kolesy wrote:
Thanks John!

Sorry bud but i found a local dealer who owns a part store with the stuff in stock otherwise you would of been my man! ;-)


No problem, Hope he is giving you a good deal though. :wink: :wink: PLMK if you have any other questions. I don't care who you bought it from, I will help in any way I can.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:17 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Oh its a pretty good deal. I get it at cost since the guys shop is my buddies main sponsor for his race car. :wink:

Thanks though John, The guy don't know much about fourwheelin and the vehicles used in the sport so I had to school him with info I got from you for the KJ. :D

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:07 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:31 am
Posts: 855
Location: Maple Ridge B.C
quick question, is this just for the pan filter being dropped? i see on the amsoil info it has 2 trans filters? sorry still learning on this kj lol

_________________
2004 Liberty Renegade
Silver, loaded
Full skid plates
255/65/16 yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Tow hooks
Flowmaster super 44


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote:
quick question, is this just for the pan filter being dropped? i see on the amsoil info it has 2 trans filters? sorry still learning on this kj lol


The early, 45RFE trans found in 02- early 03 uses two filters. The later model, early/mid 03- up 42RLE uses one filter. MANY of the catalogs from places like NAPA, Carquest, etc. have the wrong filter listed in them for the later models so make sure you are asking for and getting the right filter.

I know the correct part number for the 42 is posted around here somewhere.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:40 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Mine took 8 quarts! I let it sit over night since I was trying to install a shift kit at the time but I was amazed. I had only gotten 5 quarts or so.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com